Courtroom Attire and Etiquette
Courtroom proceedings are very formal and require individuals to conduct themselves in a respectful and appropriate manner. Keep in mind that the judge not only represents the ultimate authority in the court, but also the law.
Remember the adage that silence is golden. This applies when you are in the courtroom. The judge will not tolerate any behavior that disrupts their courtroom, such as talking or laughing or any other types of disturbances.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the courtroom, including gum
- Turn off electronic devices and cell phones before entering the courtroom
- Rise when the judge and jury enter and leave the courtroom
- Refrain from talking when the judge is on the bench
- If it’s necessary to leave the courtroom while the judge is on the bench, do so quietly
- Always address the judge as “Your Honor"
- Only approach the bench when directed to do so by the judge
- Wear clothing that would be appropriate for business